The CAPPS Excellence in Community Service Awards were inaugurated in 2016 to recognize CAPPS Member Schools that have demonstrated exceptional commitment to their local communities.
Six awards (2 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze) will be given this year in two categories: Small Schools (1-3) and Large Schools (4+ locations).
These awards recognize and encourage initiatives in community service, civic engagement and service learning that have a significant impact on the communities served by our schools.
Here are a few ways CAPPS Member Schools are serving their communities:
• Assisting those with disabilities through recreational/service programs.
• Serving warm meals to the homeless.
• Providing basic health/dental care for the homeless and less fortunate at health fairs.
• Helping U.S. Veterans through various services.
• Check on seniors, disabled or other at-risk neighbors in your area.
• Sponsoring food/school supplies drives.
• Promoting and managing holiday gift drives for children and Seniors.
• Educating via community outreach about substance use/abuse.
• Building houses for Habitat for Humanity.
• Students assisting with administering COVID-19 vaccinations.
• Providing meals to our Frontline workers during the coronavirus pandemic.
• Giving to local food banks. They all need help and contributions, especially those in communities hardest hit by COVID-19.
• Shopping or doing errands for quarantined (even self-quarantined) families who need to stay home or don’t want to take their kids out in public areas.
• Encouraging civic engagement.